Monday, June 4, 2012

Drifting away

I think it’s in my nature to drift from God. Left to myself I have that “wandering sheep” tendency that Isaiah spoke of… “All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned—every one—to his own way” (Isaiah 53:6 English Standard Version)

I’m reading in Proverbs 28 and 29 today and Solomon had several statements about this.

He said that we have a inclination to hide our sins, harden our hearts, trust in ourselves, reject correction, give into our anger, speak without thinking and allow pride to rule our thinking. (Proverbs 28: 13,14,26; 29:1,11,23) Drifting from God is incremental, not a sudden catastrophic event. I take my own way when I don’t allow the Holy Spirit to correct me. Pride, uncontrolled speech and bursts of anger are simply the fruit of that. Little by little I’m not where I was or should be with Jesus.

I read of a man named Robert Robinson who over 125 years ago wrote the hymn “Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing” as his spiritual autobiography. He later become an anointed Methodist preacher, but then drifted away from God. Years later and in a horrible state he shared a carriage with a young woman who was reading in a hymnal. He asked her to speak aloud what she was reading. She read the words to the hymn that he had penned during a much better time…

Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it
Prone to leave the God I love
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it
Seal it for Thy courts above

In tears he responded “Madam, thank you for reading those words for me. I am the poor… unhappy soul… who wrote that text many years ago, and I would give a thousand worlds, if I had them, to enjoy the same feelings I knew then.”

It’s a sobering thought to think that a man so consumed with God could wander so far from Him. So, what is the answer for you and I to keep our hearts close to Christ?

Solomon’s warnings are coupled with promises. In Proverbs 28:14 he warns against hardening one’s heart, and promised that one who fears the Lord will be blessed. In verse 13 he reminds us that those who confess and renounce sin finds mercy. And in verse 30 he adds that “He who walks in wisdom is kept safe”.

Here’s my takeaway: My nature is prone to wander, but God offers transforming power as I humble myself before Him. If I allow God to keep me tender, remain teachable, if I walk in the fear of God and freely confess my sins and weaknesses He will empower me to walk safely in His wisdom.

I’d like to hear from you. How has God helped you reign in the “wandering heart”? What advise can you give for others reading this? And, are there some out there who are far from where you want to be with God? Let’s start a conversation.

4 comments:

  1. Great blog and it's so true. Thanks Pastor Todd! Love your collection of inclinations from those Proverbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! God has so much for in store to us as we heed His instruction.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the blog. I feel as if I have wandered from God. This blog and the scriptures in it have encouraged me some. I Look forward to being back in Oregon fellowshipping at New Life again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason, I'm so glad to hear from you! God is not far and like the prodigal's father He is waiting for us to turn home. He'll come running for you as you do.

    ReplyDelete