Wednesday, April 24, 2013

How much can I expect from me?


Fulfilling the many expectations of life weighs a person down.  I’m pulled in multiple directions... I’m a husband, father, grandfather, pastor, homeowner, business person and much more.

It is the same for you. You balance career, education, physical exercise, ministry, family, and friendships,  all of which demand huge chunks of your attention and effort.  The problem is you just can’t do it all.  After divvying up your life in all of these ways there’s just not enough of you to go around.  You can’t give more than 100%!  You end up feeling burdened and guilt ridden with a heavy load and expectations you simply cannot fulfill.

So I read today in Matthew 11:28-30 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (New International Version)

Jesus says “If you are weary and burdened just say so.”  I’d raise my hand but I’m too tired.  What’s His answer?

Take on His yoke.  At first that sounds like He’s adding more, not making it better.  But please understand what He’s saying.  A yoke was custom made for each individual animal. The yoke made for one would not fit another.  So Jesus is telling us that the yoke He places on you specially fitted for you. We get burdened when we take on other’s yokes, trying to measure up to or exceed their work. You are not responsible to carry the same load or pull the same weight as others around you.  His expectation is that you do just what He creates for you…not more and not less.  He points out that when you aim to fulfill His vision and plan for your life you will find His yoke is “easy”.  Here “easy” means “kind” and “useful”, not “effortless”. God is not promising a life without labor or effort.  Instead He designs a life plan that gives focus, purpose and value. 

Real effort, yes, but in work that is right for you. So the expectations that Jesus has for you fits your abilities and personality. Furthermore His plan is kind and leads us to a useful outcome. 

Jesus does not burden us with impossibilities.  Instead He gently leads us to an unburdened life.  The result is great.  You can end the day, and eventually end your life with satisfaction.  Rested through assurance you have lived your life on His terms for you.

How are you doing?  Are you over or under challenged in your work?  Are you taking on His yoke?  I'd like to hear from you!

Pastor Todd

2 comments:

  1. Good word Pastor Todd!

    It reminds me of the scripture that says "unless the Lord builds the house they labor in vain that build it." I don't want to spin my wheels! But when we are in the Lords will and wearing the yoke he has designed for our specific life and or task, we will not labor in vain. Yes, we will have labor, but it will be soul satisfying. = )

    Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mari. You are correct, I want to build what God is building!

    ReplyDelete