Thursday, May 2, 2013

The Anti-Qualities of Greatness


I watched the National Football League college draft the other day with interest.  A top pick was interviewed and asked what he would be bringing to the team.  His response was that he would add to the team through his strength, speed, athleticism and his great personality.  His plan is to make a name for himself and his team.  I’m sure he was overwhelmed with the moment but to me it still came off as prideful.

Reading yesterday in Mathew 18 I found the disciples in much the same situation.  They were riding the crest of Jesus’ popularity and being a part of all that He was doing.  The events of the recent past had made them feel it was all going their way; Peter had walked on water, they had been on the mountaintop with Jesus where they heard God’s voice, and Peter even had his taxes paid by means of a miracle. They felt something truly great was on the horizon so they came to Jesus and asked, “Who is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven?”  They wanted to position themselves for the summit of what was ahead. The rest of the chapter is given to Jesus teaching them what I’ll call the “anti-qualities of greatness”.  These are attributes that God holds as essential and our basic nature eschews.

He begins by demanding a transformation. He said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become…Matthew 18:3.  “Change” and  “become”.  Change:  A command for me to leave negative things behind.  Become: God has a new way for me to think and act.  If I want to be great I must yield to this transformation of leaving old ways and adopting new ones.

So, in what ways is He calling me to change and become?

The first is found in verses 3 and 4: And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 18:3-4

Jesus calls me to change from my pride and become like a little child. Pride is thinking more of myself than I really am. Pride is the sin that led to the fall. Pride is living for myself rather than living for others. Wherever there is pride there will be conflict and division.

Jesus’ solution to pride is humility.  Humility is knowing myself, accepting who I am and being myself.   It avoids two extremes: thinking too little of myself and thinking too much of myself. To be truly humble is to not deny the gifts and abilities God has given me, but use them for His glory, not mine.

This is one of the anti-qualities I was speaking of. The world says I need to self-assert,  Jesus says He values self-abasement.  Not every child is a pleasant, humble child.  Some are not humble and fun to be around.  But most are. So, what are the qualities of a unspoiled child?

The children I see that fit this are:

  • ·         Trusting
  • ·         Desire to make others happy
  • ·         Avoid boasting and bragging
  • ·         Play well with others


Therefore, my goal today will be to become more childlike.  To be more trusting of God; to make my goal to please others, not myself, to avoid bragging about what I know or do; and play well with others . That will mean being watchful for areas that I need to change.  What about you today?  How can you join me in being more childlike?

PS: Tomorrow I’ll wrap this up with two more areas Christ calls me to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment